The Free Being Me Programme
What is Free Being Me?
A one-of-a-kind programme! Through fun and interactive activities, children and young people learn that body confidence and self-esteem come from valuing their bodies, standing up to social pressures, and supporting others to be more body confident. By working together, leading others and speaking out, participants will be empowered to make a difference in their local and global communities.
Who can take part?
Any Girl Guide group, aged 7-14.
Why should my group take part?
Change lives: Free Being Me has been created with world-leading experts in body confidence. Studies have shown that taking part in activities like those in Free Being Me has a lasting impact on girls’ wellbeing.
Community reach: at the end of the activities, your group will Take Action! You will reach out to your local community, boosting the body confidence of more children and young people, and raise the profile of Girl Guiding where you live.
Especially for you: written especially for our non-formal Girl Guiding setting, Free Being Me reflects the World Association’s values and focus on developing skills for life.
Develop young leaders: Free Being Me is ideal for peer educators or young leaders to run. Peer leaders may help girls and boys feel comfortable with taking a more active part in the activities.
What to do next
- Download the Activity Packs and Leader Guide
- Access support and e-learning training - There is lots of support available to help you
- Run Free Being Me with your group - The activities can be delivered by leaders or peer educators, over five sessions and personal challenges in between the sessions (alternative session plans are available), plus a flexible Take Action project over an hour to spread the message to two or more girls and boys.
- Reward with a badge - Everyone in your group should write down the date after each session on the Record Card. At the end of Free Being Me, Leaders may complete the Request Form for Cloth Badge, bring it to the HKGGA Headquarters to exchange to cloth badge with the staff from Programme Department. The Badge could be placed at the front of the sash.
- Fill in our Global Leaders' Survey - Help us continue to improve Free Being Me.