WAGGGS Advocacy Champion Network - Hong Kong Recruitment
WAGGGS Advocacy Champions will be a select number of young women chosen for their commitment to gender equality, their involvement in Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting and their ability to lead, challenge and create a ripple effect.
The Advocacy Champions group will:
- Be composed of 10 young women with 2 additional being the substitute Advocacy Champions (12 in total).
- Replace WAGGGS’ youth delegates to global events. WAGGGS will not be announcing call for applications to join the delegation at the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) or other global events. Delegations to most of the global events will be formed from the Advocacy Champions.
- Act as WAGGGS delegates for 18 months. At the 12-month mark, a new pool of Advocacy Champions will be elected. Over the following 6 months, there will be an overlap in the mandates of current network and the newly elected ones. The Advocacy Champions will be responsible for mentoring of the new generation of Advocacy Champions.
- Represent WAGGGS in key youth global spaces. Each will attend a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2 global events. All Advocacy Champions will attend the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW).
By becoming Advocacy Champions young women will have exciting opportunities for personal growth and development and to represent WAGGGS and their Member Organisation externally.
The selection criteria:-
Any Girl Guide or Girl Scout who meets the selection criteria and is between the ages of 18 and 30 (throughout their term of engagement, until May 2020) can apply to join the Advocacy Champions network.
- Involvement in Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting in Member Organisation.
- An interest in and passion for gender equality and sustainable development.
- Knowledge of and commitment to, issues relating to girls, young women and women, specifically the thematic priorities for WAGGGS, such as girls’ leadership, gender-based violence, education etc.
- Extensive experience and engagement with key WAGGGS programmes and campaigns, e.g. Stop the Violence, Action on Body confidence etc.
- Current or previous experience working on community action or advocacy campaigns, in particular related to WAGGGS campaigns and programmes.
- A very good working knowledge of English, in order to represent WAGGGS in different international fora.
- Excellent public speaking skills and the confidence to represent WAGGGS at international and regional levels.
- Proven experience, knowledge and/or skills in at least two of the following areas: campaigning, lobbying, awareness raising, policy development, communications (including social media), non-formal education, event planning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of engaging within a team.
- Conscientiousness and an ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments.
- Regular access to the internet.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, either through positions of leadership or examples of leadership during recent or current initiatives within or outside MO.
- Good written communication skills in English.
- Skills in innovation and creativity.
- Knowledge of another WAGGGS official language.
Details about the background, opportunities, responsibilities and time commitment, etc. can be found from the Terms of Reference provided by WAGGGS.
HOW TO JOIN
The Hong Kong Girl Guides Association is now calling for potential candidates to join the WAGGGS Advocacy Champion Network. Girl Guide, Ranger and Young Leader/Guider who is between the ages of 18 and 30 and meets the criteria please don't be hesitate to apply!
There are 2 steps in applying to become a WAGGGS Advocacy Champion. They can both be done simultaneously.
1. Join the WAGGGS' volunteer resource pool.
As a step for application for the role of the Advocacy Champion, all applicants should also apply to join the WAGGGS’ volunteer resource pool, a central hub for many different volunteering opportunities. Once registered on the online platform, volunteers can access development opportunities such as webinars on WAGGGS topics. When volunteering opportunities come up, they will be shared on the online platform and volunteers who meet the specific criteria for each opportunity can apply. To join the resource pool a person must be recommended by their Member Organisation. Please find all the details at https://hkgga.org.hk/tc/events/20180808-0
2. Complete the application form
Please complete the application form and submit to Programme Office, the Hong Kong Girl Guides Association (8 Gascoigne Road, Kowloon, HONG KONG) or email to email@example.com.
A selection interview might be conducted with the applicant by HKGGA. Applicants will be informed for further arrangements.
HONG KONG APPLICATION DEADLINE
10 November 2019 (Sunday)
2359 6815 (Joey Cham) / firstname.lastname@example.org