SDG3 Health and Well-Being - The Mindful Jar
SDG3 Health and Well-Being
The Mindful Jar
This activity can teach girls about how strong emotions can take hold, and how to find peace when these strong emotions come up.
- One glass or plastic jar with a tight lid
- Fine / Coarse Glitter
- Clear school glue
- Skewers or Wooden Spoon
- Food coloring
- Hot Warm Water
- Super Glue
- Get a clear mason jar preferred and fill it almost all the way with hot warm water (¾ of the bottle).
- Empty a bottle of clear school glue and mix mix with skewer/wooden spoon.
- Put a drop and half of food coloring in to the bottle.
- Add fine and coarse glitter in to the bottle. Add water and fill it up to the rim of the bottle.
- Put the lid back on the jar. It is recommended to use super to glue the the lid tight to the bottle.
- Shake it to make the glitter mix swirl.
Imagine that the glitter is like your thoughts when you're stressed, mad or upset. See how they whirl around and make it really hard to see clearly? That's why it's so easy to make silly decisions when you're upset – because you're not thinking clearly. Now watch what happens when you're still for a couple of moments. Keep watching. See how the glitter starts to settle and the water clears? Your mind works the same way. When you're calm for a little while, your thoughts start to settle and you start to see things much clearer.